Thursday, December 14, 2017

Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Cheese Muffins

I am clearly going through a muffin obsession. I really enjoy observing a child practice their hand-eye coordination and support the development of their fine motor skills when they transfer the batter with a spoon into the small holes of a muffin tin!


 
Transferring from a mixing bowl into specific small holes is great practice for the development of hand-eye coordination!

I love these muffins because they are savory and delicious, and they smell so good while baking! Also the sun-dried tomatoes and feta and cheddar cheeses can be eaten raw, so your child can taste the different flavors while they are baking. Remember, toddlers are sensorial learners, so experiencing different tastes is very important!


You will need:

1. 1 cup of flour (I prefer to use whole wheat flour)
2. 1 tablespoon of baking soda (I usually mix this in with the flour)
3. 1 cup of feta cheese (I break it up beforehand, so it has a crumbly texture)
4. 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (I drain the oil and chop them up beforehand)
5. 1 cup of cheddar cheese
6. 1 egg (I substitute 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce)
7. 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
8. 1 cup of water

One of my newest students to join my class, Luke, has recently shown interest in baking. At only 19 months, he is able to transfer all of the ingredients into the bowl, combine them, and transfer the batter into the muffin tins. Luke is a wonderful child, filled with lots of energy, so at times, it can be difficult for him to concentrate for extended periods of time. I enjoyed observing Luke focus for over 45 minutes. Additionally, when we all ate snack together, Luke was so happy to share his work with his classmates.



Luke stands up, pushes in his chair, and walks each empty bowl to the dirty dish cart before returning to his work area to transfer the next ingredients into the mixing bowl. This also gives Luke an opportunity to exert some energy.


I hope to soon use Monti Kids' baking set in my classroom. It could also be a great gift for the child who loves to bake! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Montessori environments...and a little bit of Guacamole too!

Monti Kids' booth last week at an event in L.A. As you all know, I have transitioned out of the classroom and into a full time ro...