Monday, January 29, 2018

Apple Slicing

I was never a big fan of apples as a child. In fact, I don't think I enjoyed eating apples until I was 23 and living in Morocco. I had never learned how to properly slice an apple, and I thought they were so difficult to eat! As many of you might know, once a child decides they don't like something, these ideas will often stick, which is exactly how I felt about apples. In Morocco, I was shown how to  easily slice apples, and I fell in love with them.
One of the benefits of food preparation activities for children is that they are exposed to different types of foods and ways in which to prepare it. As a child becomes part of the process of preparing something, they are much more inclined to taste it and maybe even realize that they like it!

To prepare the apples, I slice them into three pieces horizontally.

You will need:

  1. Apples (smaller apples will be easier for a child to slice)
  2. A small cutting board
  3. A small plate for the apple cores
  4. An apple slicer
  5. Small tongs to transfer the sliced apples into the serving bowl
  6. A serving bowl (I use a basket that I found in my kitchen)

Why I love this activity: this lesson will allow a child to exert their maximum amount of effort, as strength is required to push down on the apple slicer. Additionally, this activity supports a child's fine motor development, refinement of sense, and ability to follow a logical sequence of movements. Remember, when children prepare food for those around them, they are supporting their sense of community. 


Show your child how to use the tongs to transfer one of the apple slices onto the cutting board. Then, demonstrate how to place the apple slicer onto the apple, making sure the apple core is in the center hole of the slicer. Push the slicer down strongly and show your interest in the crisp sound an apple makes when being sliced (this is a big point of interest for a young child!). Use the tongs to remove the apple core, and show your child how it goes onto the specific plate. Then, show your child how to transfer the now sliced apples pieces into the serving bowl. Remember to move slowly and with purpose, so that your child can study your movements. 

I love seeing the strength of Abbi's hands in this picture. 

Abbi is very focused when using the tongs to remove the slices.

This was an exciting week for many reasons. I received my toddler table and chair set from Sprout Kids, and I cannot wait to set it up. It makes me happy to think about a child working on furniture that is environmentally friendly and sustainable. That is probably one of the reasons I am such a big fan of Monti Kids too since their toys are made with natural materials. This week, Simply Real Foods Market is having a huge sale on organic, natural snacks made without GMOs. I think it is so important to not only provide children with activities for growth, but that their surrounding environment, including the furniture, toys, and foods that they are eating, consist of all natural products. 




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the apple slicers. The kids really seem to love the easy shape of the slices and I love the fact it's so quick and easy to do. Yay for proper kitchen equipment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lottie! I agree :) The proper materials make such a difference. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I love working with apples too. I invested in a sprializing peeler-slicer-corer. The kids have so much fun eating the strings of peels and we can get a large quantity of apples done in a short period of time to cook with - apple butter in the slow cooker is the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn!

      That sounds delicious :) Apple butter sounds like a great ingredient to use as an extension of this activity for spreading!

      Delete

Montessori environments...and a little bit of Guacamole too!

Monti Kids' booth last week at an event in L.A. As you all know, I have transitioned out of the classroom and into a full time ro...