Saturday, January 20, 2018

Let's meet!

When sitting down to write this week's post, I realized that I have yet to fully introduce myself! I hope that this post will give you a better understanding of who I am and my love for Montessori-inspired practices, as well as support for the development of young children.




My name is Bérénice, and I am an AMI trained Montessori teacher. I currently work with toddlers between the ages of 18 months to 3 years old. 

About Me

I was born in Madrid, Spain and raised in Louisiana and France. I attended Tulane University where I earned a bachelors degree in Russian History in 2011. While in college, I worked in the Ural Mountains for a Russian summer camp for orphans and underprivileged children of the region for six months. After graduating, I joined the Peace Corps and lived and served as a youth development volunteer in a rural village in Morocco for two and a half years. I completed my Montessori training, for children between the ages of 0-3, and their families, at the Montessori Institute of San Diego. My trainer's passion for and knowledge of Montessori theory was fascinating and inspiring. It was an exciting endeavor, and I look forward to completing my master's of education next summer. Additionally, I recently became a trained Labor Doula through DONA International.

Why do I love Montessori?

Montessori education focuses on providing young children with the proper experiences they will use to create themselves. While the children move freely throughout the environment, it is the adult's role to properly prepare the environment allowing children to thrive. With an understanding of child development, Montessori offers the possibility for parents to support children in different capacities. It is my goal to guide children, so that they can become thriving and successful citizens of the world. 

My Goal

I am obsessed with food preparation ideas for young children because a child can gain so much from working with foods! I decided to write this blog in hopes that parents can duplicate these ideas at home with their own children. Cooking with your child will support their development, while also creating long-lasting memories. 

Opportunities to Work with All Natural Materials

In the Montessori community, we believe in providing children the opportunities to work with all natural materials. This is another way in which we show our respect to children. As I learned more about the importance of providing children with beautiful all natural materials, my desire to find other all natural products to support children and their families also increased. Thus, I partnered with Simply Real Foods Market as my go-to for organic, natural, and Non-GMO products. Additionally, I continue to love Monti Kids' toy kits, as their Montessori-inspired toys are made with natural-colored materials without lights, sounds, and many bright colored patterns, minimizing the possibility of sensory overload. I couldn't agree more with the principles of Sprout Kids. They strive to create spaces that encourage creativity, independence, and confidence, while using natural and sustainable materials. 

Montesorri Is Education for Life

By now you may have realized that Montessori principles can extend to all aspects of your life. I love that Montessori is education for life



The child is capable of developing and giving us tangible proof of the possibility of a better humanity. He has shown us the true process of construction of the human being. We have seen children totally change as they acquire a love for things and as their sense of order, discipline, and self-control develops within them.... The child is both a hope and a promise for mankind
-Maria Montessori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montessori environments...and a little bit of Guacamole too!

Monti Kids' booth last week at an event in L.A. As you all know, I have transitioned out of the classroom and into a full time ro...