Tuesday, February 27, 2018

An exciting announcement and a simple sorting activity

Hello everyone! It has been a very busy month, which is why I have been slacking a bit on my weekly posts, but I have exciting news to share with you. While I have loved my time working in a Montessori classroom, I am happy to announce that I have taken a new full-time position with Monti Kids as their Affiliate Program Manager. I actually started working as an affiliate with Monti Kids last year, and I couldn't be more excited to join their team. While my official start date isn't until Thursday, I was able to join Monti Kids at a local event here in Costa Mesa, as well as at the AMI (Montessori International Association) Refresher Course in Phoenix two weeks ago! It was a wonderful experience getting to know other Montessorians, spreading the word about Monti Kids, and truly feeling refreshed and invigorated.

My dear friend Lindsey stopped by the Monti Kids booth at an event in Costa Mesa. Here he is working with a toy from their level 7 kit! He is also using Sprout Kids' table and chair set!

                                     
At the AMI conference in Phoenix, we were able to display our toys, meet families, teachers, and school directors!


And...because this is a blog about cooking with kids, I really want to share this very simple sorting activity that helps to stimulate a child's stereognostic sense and ability to problem solve, supports repetition and concentration, and allows a child to practice their fine motor skills as they transfer with tongs.



When preparing the activity, make sure to choose fruits (or any other object or type of food) that are different. For instance, I chose blueberries and strawberries because they are different in color, taste, size, and shape. Simply Real Foods Market has many dried fruits that would also be perfect for this activity. Place a couple of pieces of each fruit into the bowls in which the fruit is sorted as a way to guide the child to know which bowl the fruit should be sorted. Often, the preparation of this activity makes it so that you don't even need to give a lesson!

I am really excited to continue to grow in the Montessori world, and I know my new experience will allow me to bring different information to share with you all, as well as more cooking with kids activities!





1 comment:

Montessori environments...and a little bit of Guacamole too!

Monti Kids' booth last week at an event in L.A. As you all know, I have transitioned out of the classroom and into a full time ro...